Last week, Melissa over at www.momsplans.com wrote about frugal activities to entertain young kids while they are home for the winter break. That got me thinking about what my family is going to do over the holidays. My four kids are ages 8, 11, 15 and 18. Brittany and Dwight, my two teenagers, are pretty good at entertaining themselves. However, they do not have an endless supply of entertainment money. Here are some activities that they like to do when they are running low on cash:
- Rent a movie and watch it with friends.
- Video games with friends.
- Listen to music or play an instrument.
- Get a bowling coupon. These packages are usually good for up to 6 people and you can divide the cost between you and your 5 friends.
- Sleepovers with friends.
- Make a cake and decorate it in a silly way.
- Manhunt with a bunch of friends. (For you ole timers like me, manhunt is similar to Hide and Seek.)
- Play Frisbee at the park with friends.
- Meet your friends for a dollar sundae at a fast food place. Or, make ice cream sundaes at your house.
- Read a book.
- Pester your younger siblings. (Ok…I threw that one in. But based upon how much this happens at our house, this must be their favorite activity!)
Have you noticed a common theme here? Friends! Teens don’t have to go to concerts, restaurants and theatres to have a good time. They just want to be with their friends and hang out. Sure beats my suggestion when they are bored ---clean your room.